Monday, October 19, 2009

Roasted Squash with Pepper Jelly Glaze

Long ago I saw a recipe in Martha Stewart Living for roasted Delicata squash wedges glazed with hot pepper jelly which intrigued me. I love that name - "Delicata" and I really like the idea of using pepper jelly in unusual ways such as this. I don't have much familiarity with Delicata squash but I was reminded of the recipe when I saw this variety at the store the other day. I searched through all of my Martha clippings but wasn't able to find the recipe so I set out to recreate it anyway.

Delicata squash is the perfect squash for roasting because its thin skin and soft, sweet potato-like flesh cooks up beautifully. I roasted the wedges on a foil-lined baking sheet because I was concerned that the jelly glaze would make a mess. I am glad I took that precaution because indeed it did.

The pepper jelly imparts a subtle heat to the squash and the garlic, along with the chive garnish, takes this side dish from being sweet to savory.

For 8 Servings:
  • 3 pounds of Delicata squash
  • 4 tablespoons hot pepper jelly
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.

Cut each squash into 8 wedges, scraping the seeds out with a spoon.

In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together the jelly, garlic, and butter until melted. Place the squash wedges, skin side down, on the prepared pan and liberally brush the glaze over it. Generously sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in the center of the oven and roast for 45 minutes.

Sprinkle with the chives and serve immediately.

Adapted from a recipe in Martha Stewart Living.

No comments: