Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cider Mustard

When I started this blog earlier this year, I did a post for Guinness Mustard that originated from Saveur Magazine. Not only was I enthusiastic about making my own mustard, but the friends I gave it to were asking for more which is always a clear indicator of success.

This version is a seasonal spin on the original recipe, incorporating Hard Cider (which I love this time of year), cider vinegar, a hint of honey and a little extra cinnamon to play up the apple undertones. A turkey, apple, and white cheddar sandwich spread with this mustard couldn't be more tasty.

Making mustard is a simple task and since I'm such a big proponent of all things homemade, I want to get in the habit of whipping up batches of it more often. It lasts for 6 months in the fridge and I store it in either 4-ounce or 8-ounce canning jars.
For about 31⁄2 cups:
  • 1 12-oz. bottle hard cider such as Woodchuck
  • 1 cup brown mustard seeds
  • 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
Whisk together all the ingredients in a large glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for a day or so.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor and blend very thoroughly for several minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl a couple times as you blend. The mixture will thicken and emulsify.

Spoon the mustard into several clean jars and refrigerate.

4 comments:

brookeraymond said...

How long will this keep in the refrigerator?

Erin, A Crafty Lass said...

Brooke, this will last for 6 months or even a bit longer. The mustard will sort of mellow out a bit as it ages.

brookeraymond said...

Thanks! I just ordered a bunch of mustard seeds from Penzey's so I can try this out. It sounds delicious.

Jessie said...

Most excellent mustard. I just had a request from *my* friends for a second batch. Apparently it is a crucial ingredient in their favourite salad dressing.