Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lemony Summer Squash Soup

I've been in love with yellow summer squash as of late and I think that it mainly has to do with its sunny hue. As far as I'm concerned there's not a discernible difference in flavor between it and zucchini but perhaps the vast, superhuman amounts of zucchini I've eaten these last few summers have required that I take a break.

I didn't know if this would be the case or not but I got it in my head that because lemons and yellow squash share the same vibrant shade, they might also go well together in a recipe. I think this is officially so for this simple soup is short on ingredients but full of brilliant flavor.

I used a mandoline to speedily slice the squash and sauteed them with some sweet onions in a little butter and olive oil. The flavors were enriched with a touch of sweet curry powder and made hearty with the addition of some fragrant, cooked brown basmati rice. A thin slice of lemon floating on top of it all was pure happiness.

For 4-6 servings:

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 medium summer squash
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet curry powder
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1-1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
  • The juice of 1 lemon
  • 6 thin slices lemon, seeds removed
Heat the butter and oil in a pot over medium heat. When melted, add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.

While the onion is cooking, trim both ends of the squash and then in half lengthwise. Thinly slice into 1/8-inch half moons - a mandoline makes short work of this task. You should have about 3 cups of squash.

Add the squash to the pot and saute for 2 minutes. Add the salt and curry powder and cook for 1 minute more. Add the stock, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook over a simmer, for 10 minutes. Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in the lemon juice.

Ladle into shallow bowls and float a slice of lemon over the top.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh wow. Looks great! Reminds me of Nigella Lawson's Happiness Soup! http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/happiness-soup-recipe_p_1.html

kickpleat said...

This is such a pretty soup! I've got loads of bright yellow pattypan and summer squash from our csa. I'm not sure if I'm ready for soup, but this sure does look beautiful.

Erin, A Crafty Lass said...

Jessie: Thanks! I love Nigella.

kickpleat: Thanks to you! I wasn't altogether ready for soup either but I ate a bowl and froze the rest.

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

I make Nigella's Happy Soup and this is very similar. Yours looks lovely.