Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pomegranate Citrus Salad

I so look forward to autumn foods like pumpkin, cranberries, Brussels sprouts and pomegranates. I never tire of these flavors. Pomegranates in particular remind me somehow of the holidays and I think the jewel-like seeds add festive sparkle to a dish.

When good ingredients are on hand, sometimes simplicity is best. This composed salad is one of my go-to brunch dishes. The bracing citrus slices are sweetened and enhanced by the honey and orange liqueur "dressing" while the fresh mint not only contributes contrasting color but a freshness as well. The pretty pomegranate seeds are tart, juicy and a little crunchy.

A very sharp knife is essential here otherwise the citrus slices will get mangled. It comes together in no time and can even be made ahead a few hours and refrigerated. Pour the honey mixture over the dish right before serving it.

For 4 servings:

  • 2 oranges
  • 1 ruby red grapefruit
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon Cointreau
  • 3-4 mint leaves, thinly sliced

Cut each end off the oranges and grapefruit and then cut the peel and pith off the sides so only the fruit remains. Slice the citrus into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange the slices on a serving platter. Scatter the pomegranate seeds over the citrus.

In a small bowl, stir together the honey and Cointreau. Drizzle it over the fruit. Sprinkle the mint over the top and serve.

5 comments:

eviedee said...

I hope that this tastes as good as it looks, what a gorgeous salad!

Hashi said...

Jewels! So pretty!

Anonymous said...

This salad is absolutely beautiful!

lisacrock said...

I love these jewels as well but it always leaves my kitchen and me in a complete bloodbath when I try to get them out of the fruit ... any suggestions??????

Erin, A Crafty Lass said...

Lisa-

I hear ya. Usually what I do is cut the pomegranate into 4 wedges and then turn the wedge out so the seeds are exposed. I then peel away the white membrane and drop the seeds into a bowl. However, I always make sure to do this over a cutting board and inevitably, I get stained red hands.

Thanks for reading!