Thursday, May 20, 2010

Strawberry Daiquiris

A couple weeks ago I was having the sort of day where daytime drinking was required. It being nearly noon, I thought something fruity was in order so that I could tell myself that the soothing alcohol spirits were healthfully enhanced by quite a few vitamin-packed strawberries. It's like a smoothie!!! - I said to myself.

I looked in my liquor cabinet, dutifully ignoring the almost-full bottle of Crème de Menthe that taunts me with its decided lack of uses and which I feel I will have for the rest of my life. I bought it because a Martha Stewart recipe required a tablespoon of it and ever since then, it has stared at me, green and dusty. Perhaps one day I will attack it and a Crème de Menthe something or other will show up here. Or, maybe one or all of you can just tell me what to do with it and I will listen.

I digress. I grabbed the bottle of Bacardi only to discover there was hardly any left and so picked up its cousin Malibu thinking it wouldn't matter if I did a little unorthodox mixing. I had a couple limes, a bag of frozen strawberries, and dumped it all in the blender. On first sip, I realized that my freestyle mixology had turned into magic because these daiquiris were good. Like, really good.

Deciding I needed to pass this magic onto you I recreated these cocktails, measuring this time, and have concluded that the Malibu might just be the secret underlying ingredient that brings it all together. Perfect for summer days (and nights), this frosty concoction is a winner.

For 4 cocktails (but really, 2 generous ones):
  • 1 pound frozen strawberries
  • 3 ounces Bacardi white rum
  • 2 ounces Malibu rum
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • The juice of 1 lime
  • 1 cup lime flavored sparkling water
  • Lime slices for garnish
Put half the strawberries in the blender along with both rums, sugar, lime juice and water. Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the strawberries and blend again. Divide among 4 glasses, garnish with a lime slice and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink3946.html

You should pronounce it "grasshoppa."

My husband (who found me the link to the recipe) is sitting behind me crowing "CA-CAO!" like a deranged rooster.