Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rhubarb Round-Up

It's rhubarb season and I thought it might be a good idea to remind all of you about some of the rhubarb recipes I've published as well as some favorites from other sources. Rhubarb is such a sweet, fleeting time and I always try and take full advantage of it.

Perhaps the most famous rhubarb recipe posted on this blog came from Guestblogger Alita for Rhubarb Slush. A sweet, dangerous, vodka-laden mix that is stored in the freezer. Scoop some pretty pink slush into a glass, top with ginger ale or the like and have at it. Beware, after the first sip you may wonder aloud - "there's really alcohol in here?" I can assure you that yes, there is, kind of a lot.

Rhubarb does well canned as jams and I have really enjoyed both the Rhubarb Strawberry Jam and Rhubarb Marmalade. The tartness of it compliments many fruits and I like the way the texture of it holds up through the canning process.

A personal favorite is my Honey Vanilla Rhubarb. The fragrance it gives off while baking in the oven is amazing. My good friend Burt had me over for dinner recently and made this for dessert. His twist was to make a traditional fool out of it by layering the rhubarb and juices with whipped cream. Beautiful and supremely delicious.

A recent rhubarb triumph are the Rhubarb Raspberry Tarts. Rich, red and deeply flavored, these tarts are a lovely springtime dessert or teatime snack.

One of my go-to recipes is Rhubarb Anise Upside-Down Cake from Gourmet. I make this every year and think it the perfect cake. The anise seed is a surprising and unique compliment.

And from around the blogosphere check out:

3 comments:

Abby said...

I made your rhubarb marmalade last weekend. It came out fabulously, was quite easy, and tastes wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Holy yum! I can't wait to try out that slush recipe!!

Anonymous said...

My entire family loved your rhubarb. I received several compliments from them. thanks for sharing. just want to share another rhubarb recipe too i found at http://www.gourmetrecipe.com/recipes/search/rhubarb . regards !