Monday, September 28, 2009

Apple Zucchini Bread with Almond Struesel

Since my zucchini plant just won't die, I am dutifully (still) using it up in any way I can. I am soooo over summer, eager instead for the foods of fall. Currently I am in deep apple love and eat them constantly. There is nothing more satisfying than biting into a perfect Honeycrisp apple.

But I digress, for there are 6 zucchini in my refrigerator right now. I foresee a few last gasp zucchini recipes in the next week or so but what better way to get rid of them then to combine them with apples. Apple and zucchini both benefit from spice, both bake up beautifully, and both add moisture to baked goods. I tested this by combining them in this quick bread. It worked.

Topped with a cinnamon-sugar-almond struesel, this bread is not only delicious, but quite pretty too. This recipe makes a large 9x5-inch loaf but feel free to split the batter amongst two smaller pans or even adapt it to make muffins. Bake just until a knife comes out clean from the center.

For one large loaf:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced (I used Braeburn)
  • 1 cup finely shredded zucchini, lightly squeezed dry
For Almond Struesel:
  • 4 tablespoons sliced almonds
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, spices, salt and brown sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture until just moistened. Fold in the apple and zucchini.

Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.

To make the struesel: in a small bowl, stir together the almonds, sugar, flour and cinnamon. With your fingers work the butter into the mixture. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.

Place the pan into the center of the oven and bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely or serve warm.

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Isn't in funny about zucchini. First you have to worry about that nasty squash borer doing damage but when they make it through, they live forever it seems:)

I just posted a dozen recipes for Johnny Appleseed Day. I sure wish I would have seen your Apple Zucchini Bread with Almond Streusel. Heck, I think I'll add it to the post right now, it sounds so deliciously "fall-ish." Thanks for sharing...