Needless to say, the next day I laid around and took advil, looked hideous, drank gatorade and proclaimed that I was never drinking again! Ever! (lies). Post-recovery I directed my energies at detoxing and eating healthy for the remainder of the week. This lovely recipe was a result of all the debauchery.
This is definitely a main course salad as it's packed with all sorts of veggies as well as garlicky sauteed tofu, chickpeas, and dressed with a punchy tahini sauce. It does take a fair bit of work to get this all together but the end result is a healthy, vibrant vegetarian dish.
For 4 servings:
- 1/2 pound (.22 kg) thin green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 pound (.11 kg) snow peas, ends trimmed
- 6 ounces (175 grams) firm tofu, rinsed, patted dry with paper towels, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces (400 grams) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as mint, chives, basil, and parsley
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Tahini dressing*
In a non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden on all sides. Add to the bowl with the beans and snow peas. Stir in the chickpeas, bell pepper, and herbs. Drizzle the dressing over the top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
*For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- The juice of 1 large lemon