Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Brussels Sprouts with Sriracha, Lime and Honey Glaze

When my New Yorker Magazine arrives in the mail, I read through it in a ritualistic fashion: first the Tables for Two article, then the movie review, Talk of the Town next, and lastly, I proceed to the feature articles. The Tables for Two article, which is concise yet satisfyingly descriptive, allows me to dream of all the places in New York I'd like to eat.

In one of the last issues, The Vanderbilt was reviewed which proclaimed that one of the best dishes on the menu was the brussels sprouts dressed with sriracha, lime and honey. I don't know why my view of Brussels Sprouts has been so narrow but I never considered any sort of Asian-influenced preparation.

I grow brussels sprouts in my garden, I love them, and realize that I have been in a definite rut in the way I've been preparing them. Typically, I cook up some diced pancetta while the sprouts are roasting in the oven. I toss the pancetta with the sprouts, and then drizzle some balsamic reduction to finish. It's delicious and a crowd pleaser. After I read that article though, I was ready for something new. I have no clue how this recipe is supposed to be prepared but I took a stab at it and the results were tremendous. I can see using this simple glaze for other vegetables, as well as tofu, chicken or seafood.

For 2-4 servings:

  • 3 cups brussels sprouts
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 1½ tablespoons honey
  • ½-1 teaspoon sriracha
  • The juice of half a lime
  • 2 tablespoons peanuts

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Trim the woody ends off the brussels sprouts and then slice them in half lengthwise. On a baking sheet, toss the brussels sprouts with the peanut oil and season lightly with salt. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Toss the sprouts and roast for 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, whisk together the honey, sriracha and lime juice until combined. After the brussels sprouts have roasted for 20 minutes, pour the glaze over them, toss to combine, and roast for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the peanuts, and serve immediately.

7 comments:

tanvi said...

The flavors in the glaze sound yummy! Does it taste more sweet, sour or both?

Erin, A Crafty Lass said...

Tanvi-I would say it's pretty balanced but maybe a bit more sour. Thanks for commenting!

Beauty Is Diverse said...

That looks good.

Merry Christmas.

kanishk said...

it taste more sweet, sour or both

Work from home India

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you! That was the most delicious preparation of brussel sprouts I've ever eaten, let alone cooked myself. YUMMY :)

Erin, A Crafty Lass said...

Miss Crisp-So glad you loved them!

Unknown said...

Thank you for share
العاب بنات تلبيس