Sunday, November 15, 2009

Miso Ginger Soup with Tofu Noodles

Today I was at my favorite Asian grocer, United Noodles, stocking up on some essentials I had run out of: rice vinegar, miso paste, sesame oil, and The Chef's favorite tea - Genmai-cha which is a toasted brown rice tea (very unusual but delicious, try it). I also had my eye on their vast tofu section because when you're penny-pinching like I am these days, you can't do better than tofu for a high-protein, low-fat, inexpensive meal.

A package of tofu noodles caught my eye. I knew tofu noodles existed but I've never tried them until today. I was betting they would be perfect in a soothing miso soup so I headed home and had this soup on the table in no time. It was so satisfying and perfect for a cool fall day.

The noodles themselves are fantastic. Pleasantly chewy and very healthy, they boast a mere 20 calories per 4 ounce serving. Be forewarned, they have sort of an alarming smell when you open the package so after you drain the liquid off of them, rinse them like crazy.

For 3-4 servings:

  • 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 6-¼-inch thick slices of ginger
  • 4-5 large dried shiitake mushrooms
  • ¼ cup white miso paste (the yellow-looking one)
  • 8 ounces tofu noodles
  • Scallion greens, chopped
  • A few drops of toasted sesame oil

  • Put the mushrooms in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, to cover. Cover the bowl and allow to steep for about 20 minutes. Drain off the water, pull off the tough center stem, and slice the mushrooms. Set aside.

    In a medium saucepan, add the stock and ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove the ginger and discard. Add the miso paste and stir until it dissolves. While the soup is simmering, drain the tofu noodles and rinse, very thoroughly, under cool water. Add the noodles to the soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

    Ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle with the chopped scallions. Add a few drops of sesame oil and serve.

    No comments: