Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bountiful Garden Sauce

August is one of those months where the garden is overflowing with produce and the heat and humidity is at its peak. Although I do not enjoy sweating over the stove, I do appreciate opening up my freezer and seeing all the soups, vegetables and sauces I have stocked it with. I set to work on this sauce the other night after the sun went down and was quite pleased with how many vegetables I was able to use up.

My tomatoes have been green for a seemingly endless amount of time so I became impatient and used canned ones in this recipe. However, I did use high quality canned San Marzano's which cost a bit more but are oh so delicious and make the most vibrant tasting sauces. I would guess that about 4 pounds of fresh Roma tomatoes could be substituted here, peeled and seeded.

The pancetta, the wine and the varying textures and flavors from the vegetables combine to make a zesty, fresh, summery sauce that I look forward to eating now and in the cooler months.

For about 8 cups of sauce:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 pound Pancetta, diced
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 large bell pepper, diced
  • 1 large zucchini, diced
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 2 28-ounce cans whole San Marzano Tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Kosher Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes more until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently for 5 more minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the wine and allow to boil until the liquid is reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.

Turn the heat down to medium. Crush the whole tomatoes with your hands over the pot. Pour in the remaining juices. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and a generous pinch of salt. Stir together. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about an hour and a half, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened. Taste and add more salt if required.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I totally agree with you - I love making this type of sauce to have with spaghetti in the summer months. Looks beautiful.