Friday, May 15, 2009

Devil's Food Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream

A couple years ago I made birthday cupcakes for my friend Ann that were the prettiest Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream, courtesy of Martha. I really liked the idea of a fruity frosting and I can say assuredly that it did not disappoint. I wanted to make a variation of the Strawberry Buttercream recipe and I thought maybe chocolate and blackberries belonged together even though I had no evidence about this being a good partnership. Judging by the fact that Ann ate four cupcakes in a day, I think it can be called a success.

I started with my go-to Devil's Food cake recipe, courtesy of Gourmet magazine. I halved the recipe thinking I would end up with 12 cupcakes but instead I got 16, which, you know, worse things could happen.

I then altered the Strawberry Buttercream recipe by halving the amounts, substituting seedless blackberry jam for the strawberry jam, and garnishing each cupcake with a plump, pretty blackberry.

A few things to note: I had an enormous amount of frosting leftover so even though I did cut the recipe in half, it was still a lot, definitely enough for 2 dozen cupcakes or more. I made the mistake of trying to watch the Lost season finale while making the buttercream and, well, there's a bit of science involved with a buttercream frosting and so it didn't set up as much as it should have, and did, the first time I made this. Focus is key, apparently.

For the Devil's Food Cake Recipe, click here.

For the Buttercream recipe, click here.

3 comments:

Robert W said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness. These look so delicious. Erin when are you going to have a bake sale and invite all of us over to sample?

Sean T said...

Those look mad delicious sis. I refuse to watch those pups of yours unless a batch of those is waiting for me when I arrive. The ball is in your court. Consider yourself warned.

Ann said...

I was just checking out your latest posts and saw my cupcakes again! If only I had known you had extra frosting when you made them. I would have eaten it with a spoon!!! Delish.