- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries (they should be cut into about 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar for sprinkling
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into 8 tablespoons and add to the bowl. With a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until it breaks down into pea-sized bits. Whisk in the oats and stir in the strawberries.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, agave nectar, and vanilla. Pour into the large bowl and with a spatula, incorporate the wet into the dry only until it comes together. On a lightly floured surface, turn the dough out and with floured hands, give it a few quick kneads. Divide the dough into two balls and place on the baking sheet.
Pat the balls into two disks, 1/2-inch thick and six inches in diameter. With a knife, mark each disk into 8 wedges. Brush the dough with the milk and sprinkle the demerara sugar evenly over the top.
Bake for 20-23 minutes, until the scones are puffed and golden. Serve warm, with crème fraîche of course.